Model verification and validation in structural dynamics
This course proposes both theoretical and practical training in various Verification and Validation (V&V) activities in their application to structural dynamic problems. The attendees will acquire knowledge allowing them to combine structural tests and numerical simulations in order to verify, validate and improve the predictability of the numerical models for dynamic behaviors.
This 5 days course and includes:
- 12 hours of presentations
- 14 hours of practical hands-on in laboratory (tests, model-test correlation, model calibration)
- 2 hours for synthesis and feedback
- Company Tour
Numerical simulations based on Finite Element software are nowadays widely used for predicting structural dynamic behaviors. An important question to ask is: How much confidence can I have in the outcome of a given simulation?
V&V provides both guidelines and tools to help the engineer to gain a quantitative response to this question. This is done by carefully investigating: the quality of the numerical solution with respect to discretization errors, the model prediction errors with respect to carefully planned tests, and the impact of uncertainties due to both random effects (eg manufacturing tolerances or excitation conditions) and lack of knowledge (eg model form errors or poorly known excitation conditions) on both model and test outcomes.
This course is complementary to GME 006 and GME 014, as it offers the opportunity to synthesize the computation and test points of views.
It will provide the attendees a global view of the problems involved in quantifying the confidence in numerical simulations by applying state-of-the-art methods on practical cases.
Course level: Advanced
The attendees must have the classical mathematical background in engineering sciences, as well as notions on finite element computations, signal processing and modal analysis; these topics are addressed in the courses GME 005, GME 006 and GME 014.
Joseph MORLIER :
Lecturer at ISAE-SUPAERO
- Scientific tools for structural dynamics
- Dynamics of discrete systems
- Model reduction methods
- Calibration methods
- Uncertainty quantification
- Model verification and validation
- Numerical and experimental model verification
- Robustness and decision-making
- Optimal test design
- Model-test comparison
- Sensitivity and effects analyses
- Model error localization
- Model revision and calibration
- Quantitative model validation
- Modal tests
- Sensors and exciters
- Signal processing
- Data acquisition
- Modal identification
- Methods for modal identification
- Damping, real and complex modes
- Hands-on test design
- Hands-on experimental modal analysis
- Hands-on model-test correlation
- Hands-on model validation and calibration
Scheduled in French:
TOULOUSE : NEXT DATE - PLEASE CONSULT US
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€2,540 excluding tax (20% VAT)