Radar signature analysis of targets
Recognition and classification
This training will enable engineers who are already familiar with the operation of the radar:
- to learn the technical analysis of targets radar signature, and discover the technology to adjust these particular signatures for stealth or deception purposes,
- to strengthen their skills in the field of recognition and identification by the presentation of the latest techniques.
This course takes into account the effects of clutter within these two aspects.
The course lasts 5 days (33 hours) and includes:
- 18 lectures of 1:30
- 2 tutorial sessions
- 1 visit of radar signatures facilities
The course brings together manufacturers of discrete targets, radar operators and specialists of recognition and identification. The former are concerned with building low detectable targets, taking into account both the properties of the target and the clutter. The second perfect radars and associated tools for reconnaissance and target identification, including reduced or controlled signature targets and also taking into account aspects of clutter.
Teaching is presented so as to convey the principles and existing tools and recently studied in two closely related areas that are :
- control of the targets radar signature using both experimental and theoretical calculations
- recognition and identification.
Course level: Advanced
This course is for engineers with good knowledge of "signal processing" and "radar". Knowledge of Fourier transforms and probability calculations basics will be taken for granted before the course begins.
Research Engineer at ONERA, Palaiseau.
- Physical scattering properties of radar target
- Basic phenomena, illustration by simple cases
- Radar Holography
- A radar imaging technique used to analyze complex targets at very high resolution
- Measurement and radar signature analysis in laboratory and real environment
- Multidimensional radar imaging, Doppler and Micro-Doppler, glittering target, synthetic aperture radar imaging (SAR/ISAR)
- Computation Tools of radar signature of targets
- Approximate and exact methods
- Clutter characterization
- Statistical approach, surface and volume scattering
- Basic tools in probability and classification
- Detection as a 2 classes problem. Some definitions (ROC curves, confusion matrices …). Choosing a decision threshold
- Waveforms and dedicated radar modes
- A better exploration of the distance-Doppler space. Air-air modes examples of front-end radar
- Examples of recognition techniques applied to specific targets
- Helicopters blade flashes, Jet Engine Modulations, High Resolution Range profiles of boats. Using high range resolution
- SAR & ISAR imaging signatures phenomenology
- Interpretation tools for main phenomena encountered in radar synthetic aperture images
- Database construction and simulation usage
- Representativeness of reference data. Variances management
- Identification performance analysis
- Choice of classification parameters and classifiers. Interaction with operational conditions. Construction and interpretation of multi-class confusion matrices. Pitfalls to avoid. Some theoretical tools
Scheduled in French:
PARIS: Biennial internship odd years. Programmable in 2020 on request.
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€2,130 excluding tax (20% VAT)