Aerodynamic aircraft design
This course provides advanced technical knowledge of aircraft aerodynamics, from light aviation and combat aviation to commercial and business aviation.
The course lasts 4 days (28 hours) and includes:
- presentations, numerous practical application cases and computer-based calculation sessions.
The course provides an overview of the aerodynamic phenomena of aircraft. It provides design-type calculation methods for quickly dimensioning an aerodynamic configuration in a variety of operational contexts. Each topic is illustrated by open source computing software.
Course level: Advanced
Knowledge of aeronautical systems and engineering sciences is required. The course supplements and extends course FMA 006 "Initiation to aerodynamics" and represents an aerodynamic extension of course AED 011 "Aircraft design".
Professor at the Institut Supérieur de l’Aéronautique et de l’Espace (ISAE-SUPAERO or the National Higher French Institute of Aeronautics and Space),
Aerodynamics Consultant at ONERA.
In collaboration with a team of teachers-researchers from the ISAE-SUPAERO and the École Nationale de l’Aviation Civile or the National School of Civil Aviation.
- Aerodynamics of low speed profiles (1day)
- Reverse profile design and optimization
- Transition, calculation of profile drag, laminarity, detachment, Stratford criterion, stall, passive and active lift augmentation
- Interactive session generating profiles using the XFOIL code
- Aerodynamics of high speed profiles (1 half-day)
- Compressibility effect on a wing profile, transonic phenomena, critical Mach calculation
- Supercritical profile design, supersonic profile theory, wave trail
- Aerodynamics of the aircraft wing (1 day)
- Aerodynamic performance of a wing, twisting and tapering effect, wing stall modes, calculation of aerodynamic coefficients of a wing on the three axes
- New aerodynamic concepts
- Aerodynamic design session of an optimum wing using XFLR5 and AVL software
- More on wing and fuselage aerodynamics (1 half-day)
- Winglet-induced drag reduction, supercritical airfoils, vortex generators, Crusader nozzles, dynamic coefficients
- Aerodynamics of fuselages: Allen's nonlinear theory, vortex lift effects, computing wing-fuselage interaction
- The delta wing: low speeds at the supersonic regime, vortex burst
- Aerodynamic optimization of the complete aircraft (1 half-day)
- Munk and Prandtl-Naylor theorems
- Wing-tail interaction, tailplane efficiency factor, biplane and tandem configurations: application to Munk theorems, flight training application
- Practical session of a horizontal tail optimum calculation
- New aerodynamic configurations (1 half-day)
- Distributed propulsion & “Blended-Wing Body” (N. Gourdain, ISAE-SUPAERO)
- Aerodynamic design of civil transport aircrafts at Airbus (S. Bedoin, Airbus)
- Evaluation of internship and round table
Scheduled in French:
TOULOUSE: 6 to 9 december 2021
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€1,660 excluding tax (20% VAT)