Introduction to viscous and turbulent flows
This course covers the effects of flow viscosity and turbulence. Focusing on aerodynamics, it begins with wide-ranging applications.
The course lasts 4 days (23 hours).
- 16 lectures focusing on the acquisition of knowledge
- 2 afternoons dedicated to the acquisition of experimental and simulation skills
- A visit to the aerodynamic and propulsion laboratory of ISAE-SUPAERO (Institut Supérieur de l’Aéronautique et de l’Espace or National Higher French Institute of Aeronautics and Space)
The course aims to refresh learners' knowledge on the effects of flow viscosity and turbulence. A balance is sought between the physical understanding of the phenomena and the calculation methods for predicting the effects of viscosity and turbulence.
The course is for engineers who need a knowledge base for their work or wish to update their knowledge.
It is also for senior technicians working in the field and wishing to acquire a basic theoretical update.
Course level: Basic
The course is most beneficial if participants have prior knowledge of fluid mechanics.
Course FMA 006 "Introduction to aerodynamics" is a useful knowledge base.
Professor of Automation at ISAE-SUPAERO
- Description of fluid material (temperature, pressure, viscosity, thermal conductivity)
- Equations of fluid mechanics
- Fundamental mechanisms (convection, diffusion, dissipation)
- Laminar flows
- Effects of viscosity
- Boundary layers
- Turbulent boundary layer
- Stability and laminar-turbulent transition
- Description and effects of turbulence
- Turbulence physics (energetic cascade, turbulent boundary layer)
- Turbulence model, boundary layer application
- Flow simulations
- Other flows
- Free flows
- Flows with heat transfer
- High speed flows (compressibility effects)
- Measurement techniques
- Pressure measurements
- Hot wire anemometry (speed measurement)
Scheduled in French:
TOULOUSE: Biennial internship in even years. Programmable in 2021 on request.
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€2,100 excluding tax (20% VAT)