Introduction to flight testing
This course is designed to people (working in the aeronautical field) who want to get practical experience in flight-testing.
During the flights, each trainee participates as a flight test engineer.
The course lasts 5 days (30 hours) with:
- 18 h of academic classrooms
- 3 flights (one hour each)
- 8 h of practical flight data analysis
- One round-table conference
This course will give a good overview of the general management and methods used in flight-testing in order to improve the dialog with people working in this field.
This course is offered in Toulouse.
Sessions are limited to nine students.
No formal prerequisites are needed (but familiarity with calculus will be a plus) since the course is tailored to give trainees all the theoretical knowledge which is necessary to have a full understanding of the flight tests he will perform.
Civil aeronautic engineer - SUPAERO
Former head of Aeronautic and Space Center at ISAE.
- General description
- At the beginning of the course, two presentations of flight test organization are made by engineers from Dassault Aviation and Airbus
- Academic classrooms prepare the students for practical in-flight tests. 3 flights are performed in a light aircraft (a SOCATA TB20 which is a part of the fleet of ISAE).
This aircraft have been instrumented to serve as in-flight laboratory
- On each flight every trainee participates as a flight test engineer, preparing the plan, gathering data and performing post-flight analysis.
- Subjects covered
- Aviation regulation, atmosphere, pitot-statics
- Subsonic Aerodynamics, lift, drag polar
- Level flight, climb performance, maneuvers, stall
- Longitudinal an lateral static stability
- Longitudinal and lateral dynamics
- Handling qualities
- Flying summary
- Flight 1: Pitot Static Calibration, angle of attack calibration
- Flight 2: Climb performance, Elevator control force in maneuvers, stalls
- Flight 3: Longitudinal static stability, neutral point (free and fixed stick), longitudinal dynamics
- Flight 4: Directional an lateral aerodynamic coefficients identification (this exercise will be done using the telemetry of the airplane, while the trainees and lecturer are on the ground)
Scheduled in French:
AED 021.1 : 14 to 18 June 2021
AED 021.2 : 6 to 10 September 2021
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€3,410 excluding tax (20% VAT)