Acoustics and underwater detection
This course covers the fundamental techniques used in underwater acoustics and their applications in the civil or military field.
The course lasts 5 days (30 hours) and includes:
- 1 session presenting a general overview
- 9 sessions of 3 hours of lectures including exercises and practical examples
- 1 x 3-hours session of engineering design
- Final panel discussion.
The course presents all the principles and techniques used in underwater acoustics in the context of sonar.
The necessary basics of mechanics, electronics and signal processing are discussed during the lectures.
It aims to situate each of the basic techniques in the sonar context, with the relations they have between them, emphasizing their fundamental principles.
Course level: Advanced
The ideas developed in this course can be found in part in the following works:
- Traitement des signaux pour les systèmes sonar (Signal Processing for Sonar Systems) M. Bouvet - (Masson, 1992)
- Underwater acoustic system analysis W.S. Burdic - (Prentice Hall, 1984)
- X. Lurton Acoustique sous-marine présentation et applications (Underwater acoustic overview and applications) Edition Ifremer 98 - ISBN 2-905434-92-9, 1998
- X. Lurton An introduction to underwater acoustics: principles and applications - (Edition Springer - ISBN 3-540-42967-0, 2002).
Program Manager - DCNS
- Physical acoustics
- Sound equations (applications of continuum mechanics, wave equation solutions, acoustic energy and intensity)
- Interface calculations
- Propagation of sound in water
- Theory of rays
- Mode theory
- Ambient noise
- Examples of software: spreading software presentation
- Sensors (material)
- Hydrophones and projectors (definitions, models, materials, market transducer report, new concepts)
- Broadcast and reception antenna
- Clean noise from reception antenna
- Diffractions, features, examples, technology
- Measurements in underwater acoustics
- Conditions, in the laboratory and at sea, noise
- Bases of signal processing in underwater detection
- Spatial processing, spectral analysis, detection, additional processing
- System and performance
- Passive systems (broad band, narrow band)
- Active systems, sonar equation (philosophy, terms)
- High frequency sonar: mine hunt
- Engineering design and examples
- Overview of current and future SONAR systems
- Operational use of SONAR (by a former submarine commander)
Scheduled in French:
PARIS: 6 to 10 september 2021
For the English realization, please, consult us.
€2,630 excluding tax (20% VAT)